Friday, January 04, 2008

Firefly

Ok, I'm going to have some fun here. Got a new website template and thinking about what to put on it. Meanwhile figured I'ld blog a few old things while I'm working on it. Digging through published stuff, actually looking for a chair in the snow on the back of Kaatskill Life to keep with the winter theme. Couldn't find it, but found this:


part of back


Here's the byline...people get possessed by alien, have best orgasm of life and then die. The art department at Avon Books had an idea for a pose and wanted a very contrasty image. The model was from a sports modeling agency that had done some bodybuilding and had a little more flesh on her than the regular fashion models. I experimented with paper negatives, exposing on paper, then using paper as neg and doing it all again to lose detail. I practiced printing myself to get it right and then had Lisa of APM Darkrooms do the actual print for the bookcover. Avon's art dept colorized it back in the very early days of photoshop. Voila!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a cool story behind a great image.